Monday, January 29, 2018

Secret Shopper

One morning before work I wandered into a local library along my path of commutation and after some confusion about which service desk to approach, asked for a "good book."

What a way to put a poor librarian on the spot, especially as it was only mid-morning on a Monday.

However, the kind librarian rallied well and using Fantastic Fiction and her knowledge of the organization of her library she was able to lead me to a collection of novels by Kurt Vonnegut among which I was certain to find something I was interested in.

I just wish she'd stayed around to chat.  I wonder what she thinks of Kurt Vonnegut, Rabbit is Rich by John Updike, and the fact that Theodore Dreiser was from Terre Haute, IN?

6 comments:

  1. Craig,
    I felt the same way during my reader's advisory experience. Asking for a good book sure is daunting! Plus there's not a lot the librarian can go from just that question! It's good that she put you in the right section, but I agree! I always like it when librarians stay around to chat about their favorite authors or what I'm interested in. I hope you found a book in that section that you could find yourself reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really was interested in the Dreiser books I came across ... not so much the Booth Tarkington books I saw there. The Magnificent Ambersons just left a bad taste in my mouth ... = )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting that you caught a librarian off-guard, in mid-morning on a Monday, for that matter! I always wonder why people are not into Mondays. For me, my “Monday” is almost always on Friday! Timing is everything! That is good the librarian still had a positive reaction, despite the pressure of finding a good book. What type of questions did she ask you, if you don’t mind me asking?

    I also always find it neat when authors are from Indiana. John Green, a Young Adult author, lives in Indianapolis, and I just learned this in December!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, she really only asked me the questions about what kind of book I was looking for and if I liked Kurt Vonnegut ... She didn't ask me what I liked about a specific book ...

      Delete
  4. Hi! I, too, felt nervous about putting a librarian on the spot. I know that personally, it is hard to think of books on the spot when asked. I guess that is why it is good to learn new tools for this class! It is great that the librarian was able to point you in the right direction. I think that once you have people asking you for recommendations for awhile, you learn the answers across genres as you go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen a public library with an Indiana Author section before. Interesting concept!

    ReplyDelete