Thursday, April 19, 2018

Week 15 Prompt


My library subscribes to NoveList Plus which I have found to be a very powerful tool for RA, but it is buried so deep on our website that I feel people rarely find it let alone use it.  NoveList Plus is also a bit daunting with the amount of information it provides.  I would love to see a very simple widget placed on our website with some natural language saying, “Did you like …,” “You may want to try …”  The first ellipses could have a search box with shadow text saying “Enter last, best book you read here,” and the second ellipses could have a field with shadow text saying “Read-Alikes” or something along those lines.  The widget could could be powered by NoveList Plus but in a much more ready and simple format, supplying 3-5 titles per title entered.

I really liked Saricks’ “Good Books You May Have Missed cart” idea (2005).  The dynamic nature of the display, the immediacy of the titles displayed, and the benefits to staff-training in familiarity with contemporary literature and the “readers’ advisory lifeline” the cart provides seem like an efficient and effective RA tactic for libraries to pursue (Saricks, 2005).

I wonder if my library could do more with social media and RA.  We have a large staff and I think it might be quite effective to develop a “live-tweet” style of communicating what staff is reading and what they think about what they’re reading at any given moment.  The feed might be featured on the front page of our website and allow customers to follow certain “tweeters.”  Matsuzaki writes, “In follower mode, Twitter provides me with book recommendations, links to reviews … I can extend my promotion of books beyond the patrons at my library, my family and friends … common interests (are shared) across Twitter by using hashtags” (2013).  This dynamic quality of tweeting and the ease with which 140 characters can be perused by customers strikes me as an efficient way to connect with our community.

Works Cited:

Matsuzaki, T. (2013). Twitter is a Boon to Readers' Advisory. Retrieved April 19, 2018, from https://whatareyoureadingblog.com/2013/01/04/twitter-is-a-boon-to-readers-advisory/

Saricks, J. (2005) Promoting and marketing readers’ advisory collections and services. In Readers’ Advisory Service in the Public Library. Chicago: ALA. 136-160.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Craig!

    Your point about Novelist is interesting. I am a bit confused on how to use that website myself, and you brought up a good point about how deep a patron has to go into the website before finding it. I wonder, too, how we can convince older patrons to use more technology? Not to be stereotypical, but a lot of patrons themselves tell me that they like reading actual books instead of E-Books, or they want their newspapers as opposed to reading the news online, and I can picture them having a hard time using new technology. Do you have any thoughts about how to encourage technology use among older patrons?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. I don't really know how to encourage tech use. I guess one thing we can make sure is that we are up to date on stuff so that when folks have questions we make sure we can remove as many hurdles for them as possible.

      Delete
  2. Hey Craig,

    To your point about Novelist, I agree that it is an amazing tool, but like you, I've often wondered if our patrons know it's there, and how to use it. We even have an iPad set to our Novelist page in our fiction stacks, there for patrons to use to find read-alikes or books by subject/genre (which could also be found in our catalog) - but there is no way that patrons could understand appeal terms without some training or additional information. I think maybe offering a session on how to use Novelist would be beneficial. If that isn't possible, this handy booklet on Novelist's appeal terms would be helpful. I may even suggest printing some and keeping them near our Novelist iPad. It's just a shame that this awesome tool is underused. I use it a lot, but I know that there are librarians on staff who rarely do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.ebscohost.com/novelist/our-products/novelist-appeals
      Here's the Novelist booklet describing appeal terms.

      Delete
    2. Did you see the Book Graph from Barnes and Noble that Amanda Saia shared about? It seems like a really user-friendly way for users to get read-alike recommendations. It utilizes some extensive data about each title, like NoveList does, but it does it in the most seamless way.

      Delete