Sunday, March 4, 2018

Special Topics Paper

For my paper I decided to more closely examine integrated advisory.  I begin my paper by affirming the importance of consumption of non-print media along with print media and the natural extension that integrated advisory is of a library's mission.  To support this I consider the common flow of print fan-fiction from non-print media sources and the gateway that video games, etc. provide to younger library patrons to the wider library collection.

I then examine some possible sources of integrated advisory in the library world by exploring several library OPACs.  Through the network of subject headings already standardized and attached to item records I seek to establish self-guided integrated advisory through the OPACs.

Lastly I look to the future of integrated advisory in a world where many librarians have never had any actual readers advisory training.  I consider that the individual practitioner may be overwhelmed and inundated with the amount of information an expansion of readers advisory to integrated advisory would entail if we were bound to the older model of providing this service, but I surmise that through the promise of technology, the web, and social media there is a light in the tunnel.

2 comments:

  1. Nice topic choice! I found the (brief) chapter we read on integrated advisory a few weeks ago interesting and I've been meaning to check the rest of the book out. In what ways do technology, the web, and social media impact the future of integrated RA positively? I feel, at least with social media, integrated RA could be both easier and more difficult - you'll find results more easily if you can look it up, but on the other hand, you might end up with too many options, or options that might not be as ideal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a good point about social media perhaps generating too many options ... but as we've seen with something like NoveList the standardized appeal factors are easily searchable and serve as tags to bring up similar titles, authors, etc. The web makes collaborative efforts to tackle integrated advisory much more manageable just because of the massive amount of data that can be shared, copied, pasted, etc. And social media allows trending topics to inform integrated advisory. Check out the site TasteDive.com for example ...

      Delete